For weeks now my son has been asking me to do a sermon called, “Can you handle it?” I don’t know exactly why he started saying this so much. Maybe it was something that I mentioned in a sermon. Maybe it was a conversation between me and my wife and he heard us using this language.
I don’t know! All I know is my son will not be able to handle it unless I write about whether or not we’re able to handle it. So what exactly is “It?”
Well, let’s see. There are a variety of directions we could take this. Since I’m focusing a little bit more on health and fitness, considering these thoughts.
- Can you handle the fact that exercise has to become a way of life if you’re truly going to get the results and health benefits you seek?
- Can you handle the fact that you will have to learn how to workout by yourself from time to time? There will not always be someone pushing you.
- Can you handle that you will not be able to outwork a bad diet? Sure, you will be able to get away with some bad foods every once in a while. While there are people who can eat anything and never gain any weight, that’s the exception. The reality is we will have to control what we eat. Can you handle that?
- Can you handle the fact that sleep is important? I know many of us will differ concerning the exact amount we need. Some may only need a few hours. But for many will much more. We can get away with not getting the proper amount of sleep, but eventually our bodies will catch up. After all, we are fearfully and wonderfully made, Psalm 139. Like a computer, our bodies if not careful will eventually shut down. Be wise.
- Can you handle the fact that it will take time to change your body? Therefore, you will have to be patient. You will have to practice self-control. Persistence will have to become one of your best friends. You will have to keep going.
- Can you handle the reality that our bodies will change over time? Yep, that’s right. We will get old. We will lose strength and speed. Look at any major league athlete. You can see them get slower. This doesn’t mean that we can’t stay in shape. This doesn’t mean that we can’t delay some of the aging process. But science will never be able to defeat the fact that we will age and eventually die. Therefore, our focus can’t be solely on these bodies.
When it comes to health and fitness, there are a lot of things that we will need to handle. We haven’t talked about body image. Many people struggle with body image. There is so much comparison that’s taking place. But don’t be deceived. You will not be able to have the perfect body. Can you handle that? You will not be as strong as everyone in the gym. Can you handle that? There will probably be someone cuter or more handsome than you. Can you handle that?
Can you handle it? There are a lot of things that we all (including me) will have to come to terms with. It may not always be easy. But it is something that we will have to do. Can you handle it?